21 de agosto de 2010

Portu... who?


Note on the English version: this post was originally written in Portuguese and may be confusing if you know shit about that language. Still, the root idea of the text is still understandable.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaaah!

Damn, two months here and already tearing my brains out when I need to remember a word in Portuguese.

Last time I was here for 3 months, I started having problems with this by the end of the trip, but I didn't speak Dutch then. Now I use English and Dutch all day, two languages occupying my brain.

Had I not started this blog, I think it would be worse. My contact with Portuguese is almost zero lately.

Last time, in the first few days when I returned to Brazil, if someone spoke to me without me expecting it, I started to answer in English and only noticed it when the person gave me a dirty look.

Now I don't wanna know how it'll be. I'm starting to mix up even in English. Sometimes it happens like:

- Bruno, where's the cellphone?
- It's on top van de table.

Van de = of the

And the cool thing is that they don't realize that I do that, because they also do it all the time.

On MSN with the Brazilians now I find myself writing things like "eztar" (estar = to be), "cinto" (sinto = feel), "fasso" (faço = I make) and so on. At least I see it before sending and I correct it.

Imagine yourself having trouble remembering how to say things (in Portuguese, my own language) like:

Mug
Spoon
Arrow
Suitcase
Pepper

No joke. The words fade from my mind.

These days I tried to remember some things and so far I haven't succeeded yet:

- That metal thing that you put against the wall tiles and hit with the hammer to break it (the word tile, or azulejo in Portuguese, took me some time to remember now =D).
- I forgot the meaning of the word picareta. It can br both "smartass" or it can mean something else too, that I forgot. I thought it may be the object that you hit with the hammer, but not sure.
- What's adstringência again?
- What's the difference between solo and sola?

That feels hopeless. =D

Somebody save me.

Nenhum comentário: